Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Ramblings of a Discontented Office Drone

I really really want to escape my present job but I don't try all that hard. The few resumes I send out there just disappear into the ether. My resume is pathetic, with one real job in my lifetime (I'm not counting the McJobs), and no real education beyond a worthless diploma in Ceramics from a fourth rate college, which doesn't even offer the Ceramics course anymore. Moving on to some bigger and better occupation doesn't seem entirely possible given all that. I fancy working for some small, cozy, non-profit org, doing their books and managing their member database. That's my dream... sigh....

Okay well as long as I have to work it's what I would be somewhat satisfied to do, for a while. My real goal in life is to win the lottery and be done with work forever. I would get a pottery studio in some warehouse somewhere, with other artists in neighbouring studios for company. I would get a big cozy armchair to sit in and avoid potting in. I would make useless, non-functional pieces of pottery. No dishes. I would putter in my pottery studio. I might read books and drink cappucino in my armchair, with nary a worry about insomnia since getting up to go to work would be a thing of the past. I used to have a studio in a warehouse, shared with a few others. In fact I have had three different studios at various times. That was back in the day when I was mostly unemployed yet somehow getting by. Bloody kids are such a responsibility, demanding regular feedings and requiring me to work at a real job to support them. I wonder how I managed to get by without regular jobs, back when. It's not like I was dealing pot or selling my body on the street. What a mystery.

No comments: