Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm Bored!

Previously I extolled the virtures of boredom. Oh, said I, how pleasant to sit and stare at the walls and have nothing to do.

So here I sit, staring at the walls, with nothing to do, and oh god am I bored! I am going to die of bordeom if something doesn't drop into my inbox soon. Oh yes, did I mention? I am at work. I would love to work, if only I had something to do. To make matters worse, my entire department seems to be missing today, except for me, and I have nobody to gossip with. Nobody to send dumb joke-mail to. Nobody to have lunch with. One co-worker called in sick because she has to study for a night-class. Two other people were here earlier, but have now independently and mysteriously disappeared. Others have just not shown up at all today, I don't know why.

What kind of crazy office is this?? What am I here for? I give the appearance of working, but in fact my efforts at this place are simply to surf the internet for 8 hours or so and write long emails to friends who live in other cities. When I feel like doing something moderately work-related I will delete unimportant emails from my sent folder, and delete the deleted items from the deleted folder. There's something enjoyable about possibly causing myself serious problems down the line by deleting some email that may have been important. Hah. But I can't do that just yet because I am bored and I refuse to do anything fun.

It's the halfway point of the day, and the thought of another 3 and a half hours to spend in this manner is too much. The long empty afternoon looms like a giant axe of boredom over my head.

I think I could be safely down-sized.

No comments: